Tackling Racism Together
As a school, and in support of the principles behind the Black Lives Matter movement, we recognise we have a role to play in sending a message that racism in all its forms can never be tolerated. We at Immanuel felt it important to issue a statement that rejects racism in all forms, reflects on what we have done so far and looks to the future as to how we will do more. Overt and covert racism exists and persists in society and we intend to play our part as best we can in changing this. To stand against racism means that all members of our community must be confident and bold enough to challenge racism and that we also continue to reflect on our own actions and behaviours.
- Do not tolerate racism
- Encourage all members of our community to discuss ways we can eradicate racism
- Promote listening, reasoned engagement, and positive action in response to injustice, while condemning racism and discrimination in all its forms
- Are an Equal Opportunities employer and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment in our workplace
- Continue to develop our curriculum to ensure that it is meaningful and relevant to our young people, our diverse community and our history.
- Continue to engage with our pupils and staff to ensure that we understand the things about the way our school operates that need improving.
- Continue to be grateful to those families who offer ideas as to how we can further improve our support for our pupils.
- Engage further with those inside and beyond our community to understand their views and those of others on this topic
- Consider how we can amend our approach to further reflect our support for eradicating racial injustice
We ask all in our community to join us in challenging racism and holding ourselves and others to account. Our Values of love, peace, courage, friendship and respect as well as our motto “Excellence for all. Excellence from all” demand this.